- Create cost allocation in a project
- Adjust cost allocation in a contract unit, contract, and invoice
- Evaluate cost allocation in cost controlling
Cost allocations are used to allocate the costs of a project among different categories, such as construction stages, sub-projects, or tenants. The defined cost allocation can be applied to contract units, contracts, change orders, and invoices; the allocation can be adjusted at each level.
Creating cost allocations in the project
You can create any number of cost allocations simultaneously within a project. The percentages specified in a cost allocation initially serve as the default values. However, you can adjust the allocation at any level later on.
To create a cost allocation:
- Select the project for which you want to create a cost allocation.
- Go to the "Project settings" on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click on the "Allocation" tab at the top of the options bar.
- Now you can then create a new cost allocation by clicking on "+ Create new allocation".
- Enter a name for the cost allocation. By clicking on the "+ Category" button, you can create different categories, such as construction stages, sub-projects, etc., according to which the costs are to be distributed.
- After naming the categories, you can distribute the costs using sliders or by entering percentages. It is essential to "Save" all changes before leaving the page.
The allocation can be saved only when the distribution adds up to 100%. Furthermore, the allocation that is initially set in a project is "inherited" in the following order:
The allocation can be adjusted at each level, and it will be transferred to all levels below.
Cost allocations in a contract unit
To adjust the cost allocation for a contract unit, perform the following steps:
- Select the contract unit from the "Contract units" submenu under the "Costs" menu.
- Within the contract unit, the cost allocation, which is created in the project, is located below the general data. You can view that distribution by clicking on the cost allocation.
- Click on "Edit" to adjust the distributions for each category within a cost allocation.
- Now you can redistribute the costs for this contract unit without affecting the existing cost allocation at the project level. Confirm the new distribution by clicking on "Save".
- After successfully adjusting a cost allocation, you will see the word "Adjusted" next to its title.
Editing cost allocation at the contract unit level is only possible if a cost allocation has already been defined at the project level.
Cost allocations in a contract or change order:
Adjusting the cost allocation within a contract or change order is done in the same way as for a contract unit. The only difference is that you select a contract or a change order.
To adjust the cost allocation, click on the "Contract Overview" or "Change Orders" submenu under the "Costs" menu.
The cost allocation in a contract or change order is displayed in the overview. The display is similar to that of a contract unit.
As soon as you edit a cost allocation, the adjustment is transferred to the levels below. So if you adjust a cost allocation in a contract unit, all contracts, change orders, and invoices within that contract unit will have the adjusted cost allocation of the contract unit.
Cost allocations in an invoice
If you want to adjust the cost allocation of an invoice, perform the following steps:
- Go to the "Invoices" submenu under the "Costs" menu.
- Select the invoice you want to adjust, and click on the "Allocations" tab, which can be found on the right side of the screen.
- Here you can adjust the distribution for each category under each cost allocation.
- Save your adjustments by clicking on the "Save" button.
You can also carry out the redistribution of the cost allocations of an invoice during invoice approval. The option for this is found in the tab "Cost allocations" on the right side.
Reporting using the cost allocations
Once you have defined and edited the cost allocations, you can display them in the cost controlling. To do this, go to the submenu "Cost controlling" of your project under the "Costs" menu. Then select the "Other groupings" option from the drop-down menu of "view by" to switch the table to the cost allocations.
Now select which cost controlling you would like to view (if you have created more than one) and whether the contract units and contracts need to be displayed. Different display combinations can be set up using the four available levels.
Afterwards, the cost allocation will be displayed for all selected levels based on the chosen display combination. You can also save this view as a new view so that you can access it easily in the future.
Please sign in to leave a comment.